Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One and a half year… (Part 1)

*First of all, I take this as a diary, highlighting some points where I felt which is important to me, so pardon me for the lengthy post*

 

One and a half year…

I was packing my things jz now and felt quite emotional to leave the place that I’ve stayed for one and a half years…

 

First few days in college~~


One and a half year before, on 100527, I entered Tunku Abdul Rahman College. I was jz back from National Service camp the day before. At the administration block, Block A, I met Jun Xiang (the first fiend I know in TARC), another NS trainee.

After some confusing and tedious running around in college to register and to do the student ID at CITC, Jun Xiang and me went to see Ms Huang to choose the course that we are going to take. Both of us take a combination of Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry and Physics. He was admitted into SN11Q and me, SN11P. I entered my first class. Well, I entered a class with a few seniors. Wow. My class has got these few students only? Is it because of Further Maths? It turned out that I entered the wrong class. Not used to the timetable. They brought me to lecture room and there, I met a whole 100+ students which are from SN11PQR.

At first, I was really confused about the style of lecture, which combines a few classes together. I mix well with some people, and they simply say that they are not from the same class as mine. I was confused.. Did I enter the wrong class? And it was not. How contradict..

Due to NS, I was used to speak in BM only. No English and ya, no BC (I tend to speak in BM with my Chinese friends in the camp too cz wanna treat those who don’t understand Chinese equally). And in TARC, I need to speak in English, and (for the first few weeks) rarely speaking in Mandrin (cz I thought college or uni students speak in BI only, but it turns out that…) So, what I did? I joined with the Malays, Ghazali and Ashraf in my class and speak in BM in the class with them xD With Hang, a Chinese, the class representative of SN11Q, three of them formed a Big Brother group which is unseparatable. So I just stick to them, asking them whatever things that I don’t know in college as I entered college late due to NS.

‘Class RAPE’….. -.-" I was thinking. What happened to this college that I’m going to study in? RAPE?!!! This is really not right.. I struggled for a very long time till can suit myself to the term ‘class rep.’ for ‘class representative’. How Hang and the gang teach me to recognize my own class rep.? Later you see.Observe a girl who talk the loudest, that is the one! But that day she turned out to be very quite in class and I wondered why they describe her in that way… Till 2 or 3 days later xD Rachel and Jiun Wai, the awesome class rep. and assistant class rep. of my class, SN11P. Sorry Rachel cz I constantly kacau her till I get all the lecture notes, tutorials and other things. She had to photostate everything again, photostate her notes, recall minor minor admin things that I haven’t complete, etc etc. Thanks a lot and sorry again..

First class. Not really the first class but the class that I remembered the most – my first Further Maths Pure class taught by Mr Ding, also my Pure Maths lecturer, an excellent lecturer who made his students attracted to his lecture and can give out all sorts of real life example on the spot and hence making his students able to remember the formulea easily. As written before, I was late to enter college. In my first Further Maths class, they have entered polynomials – four roots. I remembered that I copy down 1/3 page of question, and the solution was 4 pages long! Hey. That was my first class, the first few weeks for others and the answers are already this long.. It took me one month before I can suit to it.

Other classes. A brief one. Applied Maths & Further Applied Maths was initially taught by Mr Chong KY, a temporary lecturer in School of Pre-U Studies who was shifted from School of Arts and Science. My comments would be quite dull lecture. He understand what he teaches but just that he can’t implant the ideas into our mind. Experience might be the key, Sir. In Sem 2 and 3, the lecturer changed to Mr Ngeoh. Sorry but I can’t suit to your copy-from-board teaching style. Physics, taught by Ms Ong. A lecturer who’s young and one who can mix together with her students. Miss the time we have Joke of the Day.. Mr Keong, Chemistry. For me, he’s one who encourage his students to follow your heart, chase your dreams lecturer. Keep it up, Sir! Lastly, General Paper, Ms Joanna. Love her discussion-type lecture, where we can spam our ideas in the class. That’s the type of class that I was looking for all this while.. But I’m too lazy to think in the class and jz keep quite xp Advice to her: See you in half marathon next time and time to grab some vege!

Lunch time. Normally, SN11P and SN11Q will hang out together during lunch hour. (That’s why I used a very long time to know who’s my classmate and who’s not. Worse, I hate to memorize things..) Normally we’ll occupy a whole table or two in Canteen 1 (the Canteen near H block and Lecture rooms) and turn the world around. I remembered for a few times, we went to Taman Bunga Raya, the housing estate which holds TARC to take our lunch. On an occasion, they introduced Gok Chong as the big brother (dai go) in the gang. And I joked that: ‘Ok. Never mind. Now I’m here edi. I’ll take over.’ (Well, I was quite worried too after I said that. haha)

Library. When I first entered library, I was astounded by the amount and type of the books. It was the best library I’ve ever entered. All sorts of books.. My favorite site is the politics site. The study area at the politics site is the quietest place that I found in the library. When you make a single noise, people will start staring at you. Better still, after I found out that the basement is filled with newspapers and magazine, I grew my respect towards TARC. I can read tons of latest and past’s Readers’ Digest, National Geography, Discovery, etc etc and especially New Scientist for free! (I’m going to apply the alumni card jz to enter the library after I left TARC)  To make me easier to get some aide or partner in library, I met Merwin, a classmate of mine. Guess what. Your contact name was once ‘Merwin Library’ =P

Meet Jeff. Jeff is Jiun Wai’s secondary school friend who was initially taking Biology. And after some discussions, he decided to switch to Further Maths, and entered our class. Jeff. Jeff is quite an important person that I look up to and whom I learnt a lot from. Not long after he changed to our class, we went for Career Guidance Society’s interview. I was actually passing by Canteen 2 and saw him entered the door. Curious, I asked and he told me about an interview. Jz wanted to gain the experience of interview, I followed him. And now I’m its Vice Chairperson while he handles a newly formed Debate Society. Jeff has a (British, I guess?) accent when he communicates in English. He hold on to it even though it’s uncommon for Malaysian to speak in that way. I learnt to be firm to my stand from his action. Thanks Jeff !

Well, my accommodation was in my uncle’s house, so nothing much for me to worry about tons of things. The price to pay was that controls me to some certain extend. Can’t stargaze when the sky is clear, can’t join events of talks at night that frequently (else, I’ll be joining every green drinks held in KLCC), and I really do hope that I can stay in the library till night and go home after that. Well, we shall appreciate what we have~~ With a motor, I’m in fact luckier than hostel students. I can reach college in 9 minutes but they need to walk for around 20 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment