I started my interest in astronomy from UFO to planets from around Standard 2/3 till std 6 and stop for some time.
In secondary school, I joined a painstakingly passive astronomy society and some of us did actually brought up some enthusiasm of the members when we were in power in form 4 and 5. But everything collapse again after we left..
On 12 August 2010, I've joined a trip to Sepang all the way from Setapak just to view Perseids meteor shower. I meet William Chin there, who sparked my interest back. That time, I've found someone who I can refer to if I have any inquiries in astronomy. Well, that was the first time I went to watch meteor shower and it's so far from where I stayed and rushed back to study on Friday. A sleepless night indeed.
In conjuction of Geminids meteor shower which peaks on 13 Dec 2010, I've decided... That's it. I'm going to promote astronomy to my friends and family. I organized a meteor hunting event in my neighborhood, went to the police station to get a permit and spam.. A few people joined the event and we have counted a total of 100++ meteors from 9pm - 5am with a very very cloudy condition.
On 22 December 2010, I've bought my 5.1 inch reflector telescope - Orion SpaceProbe 130eq, which I've planned since form 2 and worked to get the money needed.
And the story goes on and on.
Since primary school, I was searching for people who are interested in astronomy and also astronomy clubs / societies which will carry out activities like San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomy. I was looking for star party. I was looking for telescope provider. I was looking for enthusiast...
That's why I aimed to promote astronomy to the public and set a platform so that those who are interested in astronomy or astronomy enthusiasts, especially BEGINNERS can refer to and help each other in this field. The greatest JOY I can get is when an enthusiast found the way to unleash their potential in astronomy and / or any field they are interested in. The greatest excitement of me is to dig out someone's potential and let the others explore their gift - talent.
That's why I've opened up an astronomical group, Astronomy Exploration Club (name suggested by Josh Lee Gah Chun) and planned to make it as a platform for beginners to explore the curiosity within everyone. Hopefully, you all will promote astronomy and increase the awareness of preserving a dark sky to your friends too :)
(Don't get me wrong. In a light polluted sky, we are still able to carry out lots of astronomical activities. San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomy is a group of volunteers who set up a scope on any random pavement and share the fun of astronomy to the public.)
Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/222149901131543
Well, what are we going to do?
- Surely, we'll inform everyone on every (hopefully) public major astronomical activities in Malaysia, especially in Peninsular Malaysia.
- We'll organize events such as:
- Meteor Shower Hunting
- Solar / Star Gazing monthly, if not fortnightly in KL (latest starting from December)
- Amateur Telescope Making (next year may be)
- Water Rocket (hopefully we have the fund =p) (we did it now!)
and more! (can't think so much now)
Well, what propels me to do these?
I can foresee that more and more amateur astronomers will be borned in Malaysia, especially in the light polluted city of KL. I can foresee that more and more people will equip themselves with astronomical knowledge. Astronomy is not all about telescopes or equipments. It's about your eyes and / or passion.
Just ask yourself a question: HAVE I SEEN the constellation which represent MY HOROSCOPE?
Clear skies,
Tan Simpson
No comments:
Post a Comment